Jewellery is one of our most precious possessions. It is important to handle these treasures with care, as they are both sentimental and valuable.
Daily wear and tear affect decorative elements. Gemstones begin to lose their lustre as they continue to be exposed to adverse weather conditions. Dirt, lotion, soap and moisture can cause discolouration.
The good news is that you can easily restore your lustre at home! Keep your jewellery always sparkling with these five minutes simple tips and tricks, including a DIY jewellery cleaning solution.
How often should you do jewellery cleaning at home is a very common question among people. When scheduling a jewellery cleaning, you should consider the wear and tear of the item. Things like engagement rings should be cleaned once a week or every other week. Diamonds can easily tarnish due to daily hand washing and lotion use. In addition to diamonds, other parts can be cleaned when they look dull and need additional polish.
How to clean precious jewellery at home in five minutes is the main question. Let’s discuss how to clean different precious jewellery types in detail:
- Diamond: Mix a few drops of mild detergent in warm water. It makes an effective Jewellery cleaning solution. At first, soak the diamond jewellery for a few minutes. Then use a soft toothbrush to gently clean the jewellery. Rinse with clean water and dry. Another way to clean diamond products is by immersing them in sparkling water. Leave it on for a few hours, rinse with water, dry and voila!
- Pearls: Lightly moisten a clean cotton cloth with a solution of a few drops of mild detergent in warm water. Using a cloth, gently rub each pearl piece individually. Let the product air dry. Do not soak pearls.
- Silver: In a bowl, combine a small amount of Dawn dishwashing detergent with lukewarm water. Allow the jewel to stay on for 5 minutes. If the jewellery has not been cleaned for a long time, you can leave it on for a while. Gently clean the jewellery with a new soft toothbrush. Put the jewellery in warm water and rinse. Air dry or wipe thoroughly with a paper towel or plain cloth. “Since silver can tarnish easily, it is recommended to use a silver lustre cloth to retain its metallic lustre after cleaning.”,
- Gold: Mix the solution with mild dishwashing liquid and a few drops of warm water. Place the gold jewellery in a small basin and soak in the solution for 5 minutes. After removing them, place them on a cloth. Using a soft toothbrush, gently scrub the crevices of each item. Rinse the parts and wipe with a soft cloth.
PROPER CARE OF JEWELLERY
- Aside from striving for cleanliness, there are other steps you can take to protect your valuable jewellery.
- Remove the rings when washing hands, applying skincare products, or using household cleaners, hand lotions, etc.
- These items can cause hard-to-reach dust. Store your silver in an untarnishable bag.
- Avoid wearing jewellery while swimming.
- Check your beautiful pieces regularly with a reputable jeweller. They can make sure the stones and settings are safe.
- Learning how to clean jewellery at home doesn’t have to be intimidating. You will most likely have all your Jewellery cleaning solution materials under the sink.
21 total views, 1 views today