How to look after and store your jewellery
- Protect all jewellery from scratches, sharp blows, chemicals, extreme temperatures, and sunlight.
- Store jewellery separately so it does not scratch other jewellery.
- Remove jewellery when doing household tasks such as gardening, cleaning, household repairs or other strenuous activities.
- Apply make-up and hair spray before putting on your jewellery. Make-up and hair spray contain chemicals that may affect your jewellery.
- Do not store jewellery next to heating vents, window sills, or in the car.
- Store jewellery away from sunlight. The sun may fade some gemstones.
- Do not wear jewellery while in a pool, hot tub or bathing. The chlorine in the water can damage various gemstones and metals like gold.
- Always store bead necklaces strung on silk flat because silk stretches over time.
- Frequent cleaning is recommended to maintain its true beauty.
- Saltwater, chlorine in swimming pools, soap, perfumes, personal products and perspiration take their toll on all fine jewellery. After each wearing, gently wipe each piece of jewellery clean of makeup, perfume and skin oils with a soft 100% cotton cloth.
- Damage can be prevented by storing your jewellery in a resealable plastic bag with anti-tarnish paper. Pearls and opals, however, should be stored in fabric instead of plastic because they need to “breathe”.
- Uncut Polki Diamonds Should be kept wrapped in cotton in a plastic box.
Ensure your precious platinum pieces remain in perfect condition with advice and tips on jewellery storage, cleaning and maintenance. Look after your precious platinum jewellery for its looks to last forever.
Where should I keep my platinum jewellery when I am not wearing it?
Store pieces separately, in a jewellery box or chamois bag so they don’t get scratched by other items.
How do I care for platinum jewellery?
Clean platinum in the same way you clean other fine jewellery to maintain its fine appearance and ensure that it lasts. Either use a mild solution of soap and warm water, and gently rub it with a soft cloth, or buy a jewellery cleaning solution.
Will platinum jewellery scratch?
All precious metals scratch and platinum is no exception. It is unique in that the metal is only displaced, not lost. Have your platinum jewellery polished if you are interested in maintaining a high shine. Look for an authorised platinum retailer for all adjustments, resizing, polishing and cleaning.
Can I wear my platinum ring while doing manual work such as cleaning or gardening?
Remove your platinum jewellery when undertaking heavy work. It is also advisable not to handle bleach or harsh chemicals when wearing your jewellery. Although they won’t hurt the platinum, chemicals may discolour diamonds or gemstones.
412 total views, 1 views today